How do I authorise Platinum for Making Tax Digital?
This article explains how to authorise your Platinum Software with HMRC for the Making Tax Digital service.
Please make sure you have read and followed the steps in this article before proceeding.
Update Platinum Software
You must make sure you have recently updated your Platinum system. Changes to the service mean Platinum must be up to date.
- Please see this article for how to update your Platinum system in preparation for using the new service.
Platinum Online Password
- Make sure you have a password set for Platinum Online as this is used as the link between Platinum and HMRC's portal.
See How do I set or change my Platinum Online Password? for setting your password.
Make sure you have entered your Government Gateway User Id and Password and your VAT Registration number in the Platinum Settings. See this article for help.
Whilst in this section please follow How do I set up Platinum for Making Tax Digital? to inform Platinum you have registered for Making Tax Digital. You must only do this once you have received an email from HMRC confirming that you have registered for the MTD service.
|You can also log on to your Government Gateway to check if you are on the new service. If in doubt please contact the HMRC helpline for advice before proceeding.|
Once you have completed the steps above please follow the steps below.
Go to " Reports & Settings Reports V.A.T. Reports".
- You will now see a message saying 'Your Platinum Software is not authorised for MTD'.
- Click [Authorise].
- Platinum Online will open in your browser window.
- Enter your Platinum Online username and password and then click the [Login] button.
- You will be taken to an authorisation screen within Platinum Online.
- Click [Authorise]. You will now be taken to the sign in page on https://www.gov.uk/.
- Enter your Government Gateway "User id" and "Password" then follow the steps to log in using the access code they will send you.
|You are no longer on a Catalyst website, you are now on the the UK Government Gateway website. Catalyst will never have access to your HMRC sign in credentials.|
- You will be taken to a page that will ask you to authorise Platinum as your software system for submitting your vat returns through the Making Tax Digital service.
- Click [Grant authority].
- You will then be taken back to Platinum Online where the activation date will be displayed on screen.
- Click [Log out].
- You will be returned to your VAT report and can now continue as normal.
|When you close and accept your VAT return, the results will be sent directly to HMRC under the new service. Please see How do I run the VAT 100 report?.|
Authorisation has to be renewed every 18 months. You will be prompted to do so when entering the VAT report once the 18 months has passed.
- If you see a message saying 'Your last VAT period has not been set', please Contact your Platinum dealer or our support team on 0116 230 1500 or by using our website support contact page for assistance.
- If your VAT period is not correct, i.e. not the correct frequency or the months are not correct, please Contact your Platinum dealer or our support team on 0116 230 1500 or by using our website support contact page for assistance.
- If you do not see the option to activate within Platinum Online, you may not have the correct system access. Please ensure you have access to " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator".
- You cannot access Platinum Online, please see How do I connect to my Platinum Online?. If there are no available licences, you may need to ask other users to log out of Platinum Online while you carry out this process (which should take no more than about 5 minutes).
- If your authorisation fails, please check your Government Gateway to ensure the credentials entered in the Platinum Settings are correct and that you have registered for the new service.
- How do I run the VAT 100 report?
- Making Tax Digital
- How do I set up Platinum for Making Tax Digital?