How do I create a report column?
This article explains how to create columns on a report generator report.
The columns on a report are the information for which you have asked. Work out the information that you want to see and how you want it displayed before you start creating columns.
- Go to " Column Details".
Columns are split into three areas, "Body", "Headings" and "Totals".
- "Body" columns contain the nitty gritty of the report, i.e. the information for which you have asked.
- "Headings" and "Totals" columns allow you to add headings and totals to your report at Group level.
Creating columns is done in the same way for all three areas.
The cursor starts on the "Col No." field, with the "Body" area selected by default. If you want to create a "Heading" or "Total" column, move up to the "Type" field and change it to either 'H' - Heading, or 'T' - Total.
- Press <F2> to get the next column number. You can type this in if you so wish.
- The "Position" will be calculated for you. This will depend on the position and width of the previous column.
- The "Heading" will be blank at this point. You can either let the system fill this in for you later on or you can enter your own heading here.
- The "Column Type" defaults to 'F' - File.
- The choices here are:
- 'F' - File
- This allows you to access the Platinum file variables.
- 'T' - Text and 'N' - Numeric
- These two options allow you to enter formulae that have either text or numeric results using any available variables. You can use IF...,THEN....,ELSE... statements and other logical formulae.
- 'Q' - Quote
- This option allows you to enter data that will remain the same for the whole report. This type of column is useful for static labels for headings or totals.
- 'D' - Date
- This column is specifically as it says for dates.
The choice that you make defines how the rest of the screen is displayed.
- Columns that give a text result allow you to change the width of the column.
- Columns that give a numeric result allow you a wider range of options.
- You can set the number of figures before and after the decimal point, whether you want a sign (+/-) to be shown, whether you want a currency symbol and how to display the value if zero is involved.
Column Type Usage
- For 'F' - File type columns, you can choose suitable Platinum file variables using the search option to get the information that you want.
- For 'T' - Text and 'N' - Numeric type columns, you will have to work out a formula to get the result that you want.
- With 'N' - Numeric type columns, you have the added option of the "Logic filter". If you set this to 'Yes', then your formula in this column will be evaluated either to True or False. If False, the item for which this is evaluated will be excluded from the report.
- Getting started - Report Generator
- What is a report generator variable?
- How do I create a report sort order?
- How do I enter a report range?