How do I process a sales order through Sales Order Dispatch?
||This article or section is under review.
For review by : CharlesBe aware: Content may change as the document is reviewed.
||This article or section is under development.
Be aware: Content will change as the document progresses.
- 1 Summary
- 2 Order Items tab
- 3 Delivery tab
- 3.1 Carriage
- 3.2 Unit price
- 3.3 Carrier
- 3.4 Consignment
- 3.5 Packages (Optional)
- 3.6 Pallets (Optional)
- 3.7 Weight (Optional)
- 3.8 Volume (Optional)
- 3.9 Package summary
- 3.10 Dispatch
- 3.11 Invoicing
- 3.12 Intelligent Shipper
- 4 Notes tab
- 5 Deliveries tab
- 6 Dispatch Reports (Optional)
The " Sales Ordering Order Dispatch" option is designed to allow you to package up a customer's order, taking care of any outstanding order processes, and optionally, raising the invoice.
Order Items tab
The basic range consists of either a 'Pick bin' code, 'Picking list' number, or 'Delivery note' number. Which one you want to search for is selected by the first dropdown. Your "Search type" selection will be remembered the next time you use the program.
Advanced Range / Add
The advanced range has many more features, and will allow you to gather all order items on the system, so should be handled with care.
Delivery Item Selection
Items included in the current delivery will be those selected by tagging. When the range has been gathered, by default the first customer account found will be tagged for processing. You can use the function keys <Shift+F5> and <Ctrl+F5> to tag, or untag, the current account respectively; while <T> and <U> will tag or untag individual items for finer control. The system will not allow you to process items for more than one customer at once, should you accidentally select a combination of items like that.
A delivery is made up of one or more Packages. Indicating to the customer which package each item is in may be of considerable use to them on receipt. Similarly in the event a package goes astray, you can more easily identify which items it contained. This column defaults to 1, indicating all items for the delivery are contained in one parcel. You can manually enter a number here, or use the related function keys. <F1> will advance the package number to the next number. This will be limited to the highest number currently assigned plus one. <Shift+F1> will decrease the package number by one, down to a minimum of 1. <Ctrl+F1> repeats the last used package number. <Alt+F1> sets all subsequent tagged items to the current package number.
The Carriage field should contain your stock code for the carriage charged on this delivery. If you include carriage as a stock line on your orders, the selection process will attempt to determine the carriage line automatically. If carriage is included but cannot be identified automatically, or is misidentified, you have the option to flag the carriage line manually using <F8>. If you don't include carriage on the order as it's prepared, and enter it manually at dispatch time, the stock code you enter here will be added to the order automatically prior to invoicing so the charge is included.
If the stock line is included on the order this field is for reference only and may not be amended. If you have entered the carriage manually here, you can override the standard sales price to the current customer if required.
The carrier may be set automatically, from " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Platinum Settings Sales Ordering Dispatch preferred carrier", " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Add or Edit Sites"[Sales Ordering]"Preferred carrier"; or from the Carriage stock line's "Preferred supplier". You may override this manually if required.
Dispatch Manager Links
If you have an account with a shipping service supported by Platinum, you can link your carrier account with the shipping service and generate shipping orders direct from " Sales Order Dispatch". To do this, from the carrier's [Ordering] tab, select the relevant setting from the "Shipping service" dropdown. This will allow " Sales Order Dispatch" to prompt you for any additional information required when you specify the linked carrier, and perform any additional processing specific to the shipping service in question. Platinum currently supports linking to Intelligent Shipper by Intersoft.
Intelligent Shipper Settings
As well as selecting the supplier representing Intersoft, you will need to add your own credentials for using Intelligent Shipper in " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Module Settings Sales Order Processing Dispatch - Intelligent Shipper".
- "Intelligent Shipper account code".
- "Intelligent Shipper user ID".
- "Intelligent Shipper password".
- "RMG posting location".
This will generally be the consignment number allocated by the carrier.
This is the number of packages making up the delivery. You should not need to amend this but may do if required.
If you deal with pallets you may enter the number of pallets here. This is an optional value.
This figure will be calculated automatically from the weights assigned to the included order items, if used. If required you may modify this manually.
This figure will be calculated automatically from the volume assigned to the included order items, if used. If required you may modify this manually.
For information only, this list lists and summarises the packages included in the delivery.
The [Dispatch] button will perform any outstanding processes required by the items you have chosen to include. This may include Confirmation Note printing, Picking List printing, Completion and booking out of stock, and Delivery Note printing. Details of the current delivery will then be stamped on the order items concerned, such that they may be reported on, optional delivery reports will be printed, and finally, if configured, the delivery will be invoiced.
Whether you want to invoice the items in a delivery as part of the preparation of it will generally be a matter of company policy so is controlled by a System Setting, found in the Sales Order Processing section, titled "Invoice items included in dispatch deliveries". Set to 'Yes' this will automatically raise the invoice for items included in your delivery. Any deposits taken will be allocated automatically, up to the value of items included in the
|Customers flagged as "Cash sales" will not be invoiced unless a deposit has been taken for the full amount. You will be informed of this if the invoicing process decides this is the case.|
If you specify a carrier linked to Intelligent Shipper, you will be required to enter the following additional information.
This information is taken from your " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Platinum Settings Reports & Settings Company Details", or where relevant " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Add or Edit Sites"[Details]. As Platinum has no strict rules as to which lines of the address signify the "City" and "Postcode" you may need to nominate which these are the first time you use this facility, using <Shift+F3> and <F3> respectively. You choices will be remembered for future use.
This information is defaulted from the delivery address for the first order in the delivery and the sales account details. Platinum will attempt to detect the "City" and "Postcode" lines in the address but you may need to adjust these if detection is not possible.
This information indicates how you want the delivery to be sent, together with information that may be required by customs.
- "Service code" - Platinum's three character equivalent to Intelligent Shipper's Service code, which may be up to four characters.
- "Service level" - Defaulted from the [Settings] on the "Service code". Adjust to suit.
- "Service format" - Intelligent Shipper Service Format for the delivery.
- "Description" - A brief description of the goods in the delivery.
- "Currency" - Currency used to price the items making up the delivery.
- "Value" - Total value of the delivery.
In addition to the processes detailed above, when you select [Dispatch] for an order for submission to Intelligent Shipper some additional checking will be performed, and if no issues are found, the delivery will be uploaded for "Creation", which retrieves information concerning which carrier has been allocated as well as any shipping labels. The delivery will then transition to the 'Pending' state and be shown on the [Deliveries] tab where you can process it further.
The notes tab may be used for any notes you want to record relevant to the delivery. These may be printed on reports, so if your standard dispatch reports are configured appropriately these could be special delivery instructions. In general though they are optional and can be used for any purpose you like.
This tab shows deliveries in progress and completed. You can specify which using the "Delivery status" dropdown at the top.
- 'All' shows both 'Pending' and 'In Progress' deliveries. 'Completed' deliveries are omitted as they are usually only useful for reference.
- 'Pending' shows deliveries which have been submitted to the shipping service and require confirmation, typically after being labelled up and preparing for pickup by the courier. They may also be cancelled at this stage if needed.
- [Label] accesses shipping labels and any other media stored against the delivery for printing.
- [Confirm] transmits confirmation to the shipping service that the delivery is ready for pickup.
- [Cancel] cancels the delivery with the shipping service, purging any delivery information and relevant media stored against the order and order items.
- 'In progress' shows deliveries in transit. If the shipping service supports tracking information that may be accessed at this stage.
- [Tracking] retrieves tracking information for the delivery or for each individual package, depending on the shipping service.
- [Complete] confirms you are happy the delivery has been completed and adjusts the status accordingly.
- 'Completed' shows completed deliveries still on file.
Dispatch Reports (Optional)
- If required you can configure the system to print one or more reports when you dispatch a delivery.
- You can print a report covering the whole delivery, a report for each package included in the delivery, and/or a report for each stock line in the delivery.
- These reports will be produced after any outstanding order processes have been performed on your selected items, and before the invoice is printed (if configured to do so).
- Which reports you want to produce are selected in " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Module Settings Sales Order Processing Reports".
- You can use this feature to print covering documents, package labels, or anything else you might require.