The following article explains how to submit your VAT from Platinum. This article assumes you have registered and authorised Platinum for the Making Tax Digital service.
|Please see this article for advice on how to ensure your Platinum system is authorised for MTD. Please note: You should ensure you have registered your business for Making Tax Digital with HMRC prior to attempting to authorise your Platinum system.|
|Please ensure your Platinum version is dated 11th April 2021 or later. Please be advised that, if you are on Platinum version dated 11th April 2021 or later, if you are not registered for MTD your submissions from Platinum will not be sent to HMRC. Click here for instructions on how to update your Platinum system.|
|If you are based in Northern Ireland you should ensure you have amended your " Reports & Settings Maintenance Options System Administrator Platinum Settings" to specify a "Company country" of 'XI'. This will ensure VAT due on acquisitions from EC member states continue to be included in Box 2.|
Go to " Reports & Settings Reports V.A.T. Reports".
|If at this point you see an error message advising you that you are not currently authorised please follow the steps in How do I re-authorise Platinum for MTD VAT submissions?. If you ignore this warning and attempt to submit the VAT return please be aware this will not be submitted to HMRC.|
|The current open period will be displayed. This information is returned by HMRC along with the status of that period.'O' informs you the period is 'Open' and has not yet been submitted. 'F' informs you the period has been submitted and 'Fulfilled'.|
|Having submitted a period, the next period will be displayed once HMRC have rolled your account forward. For quarterly returns this will usually be the 3rd Friday of the second accounting month e.g. having filed a return for the quarter ending May 2019, the August 2019 quarter will not be available to view until the third Friday in July.|
Check and Submit
- To run the V.A.T. report for the current period, click [OK].
- If you import goods and are using Postponed VAT accounting please enter your estimated or actual postponed vat for the period in the field supplied at the top of the return. This value will be included in boxes 1, 3 and 4 as per the changes to the VAT return following Brexit.
- If you need to calculate this value please view the breakdown of box 7 by clicking the [...] button to the right of the box. The nett of all inputs will be listed along with the VAT Reg, Country and EC Member flag. You may use this information to work out your estimated value or to check against the actual value from your monthly statements.
- Press <Ctrl+P> and select [Excel] if you wish to output the list to Excel.
- Check the values shown in Boxes 1 - 9. If you have any queries or are not yet ready to submit your return click [Close] to exit the VAT Return without submitting the data.
- When you are ready to submit the return to HMRC click [OK].
|Note: Consider whether you need to change your print destination at this point. The full breakdown of the individual boxes can be quite an extensive printout so you may wish to print this to PDF rather than on paper.|
- You will be asked to confirm your figures are accurate and final.
- Click [Yes] at the confirmation box.
- Once accepted, your return is submitted to HMRC.
|Please wait until you see a message on screen advising you that your submission has been successful. You should click [Print] to print a copy of this message. If you do not see this message please check the process you have followed and Contact your Platinum dealer or our support team on 0116 230 1500 or by using our website support contact page if you are unsure if your return has been processed.|
- As explained above, your return will display 'F' once it has been submitted to and accepted by HMRC. Your next period will be shown when HMRC have moved your account forward.
|If the figures are incorrect and you have posted them to the HMRC site, you will need to fill in VAT Form 652 and return it to the Errors Team at the HMRC.|
|If you have registered with HMRC for Making Tax Digital but have not yet updated your system settings in Platinum, please see the article: Making Tax Digital. If you fail to do so and subsequently attempt to make a VAT submission through Platinum, it will not be submitted to HMRC.|
- Q. How do I know if I am on Postponed VAT Accounting?
- A. Questions regarding how to treat imports should be directed at your accountant, carrier or HMRC as we are unable to advise on specific queries.
- Q. How do I view my submission logs?
- A. This article explains how to find your submission logs in case any queries arise.
- Q. How do I view a previous period?
- A. To view a previously submitted return, go to " Reports & Settings Reports V.A.T. Reports". From the drop down menu select the period to view and click [OK]. You will be able to print and view the information for each box but will not be allowed to re-submit the period.
- Q. My current period is not displayed
- A. If the current period does not match your actual VAT period, please carry out the following checks; 1. Update your Platinum system. 2. Log in to your Gateway account and check that your previous return has been applied to your account and that your next period is showing as due. 3. Recheck the VAT option within Platinum to see if the next period is now displayed. If you are still not able to view the current period please Contact your Platinum dealer or our support team on 0116 230 1500 or by using our website support contact page for advice or call the HMRC Online Services helpline on '0300 200 3701' if you feel there is an issue with your gateway account.
|If the period shown does not match your actual period end/frequency, please Contact your Platinum dealer or our support team on 0116 230 1500 or by using our website support contact page for advice.|
- Q. How do I defer paying my VAT?
- A. Please speak to your accountant or HMRC for advice. You do not adjust your return due to deferring payment of a VAT bill.
Thank you for using our Knowledge Base, we value your feedback. Did you find this article useful? 'Yes'