Updating Platinum Software to the Latest Version
- 1 Summary
- 2 More Information
- 3 See also
This article explains how to update your Platinum software and the advantages of donig this
As a user of our software you are probably entitled to update it to the latest version at any time, the only proviso being that the software is covered by current software maintenance. To have current maintenance, the software should be within it's original cover period from sale (usually a year), under maintenance contract or under a rental agreement.
"Why Should I Upgrade?"
The authors are continually striving to improve the software in the following ways:-
- We constantly add new concepts and ideas to the software in order to make it ever more useful. Obviously not all ideas are of interest to all of our clients but we do listen to client feedback and act on it as well as contributing new ideas of our own. As so many new features are added the chances are that at least some will help you.
Easier to use
- We constantly review the ease of use of the software and where possible make it easier to use. We do this by removing keystrokes, redesigning screens to give a more intuitive more graphical interface and we also improve the help available, this very article being an example. All of these changes make it easier to train new staff, saving time and thus expense.
Third Party Software
- We interface to many third party software products. From time to time the interfaces to these products change due to the third party company. Interface changes are generally imposed on us by an external third party company and are thus beyond our control. Updating your software means that these software links are updated and thus the link to the third party software will continue to function correctly.
- It is in everybody's interest that the software is as reliable as it can be made. Advances in hardware performance mean that it is ever more possible to make the software more reliable whilst continuing to run at an acceptable pace. We are constantly adding features too.
- No software is without bugs. Although we strive to test our software fully before release, when one of our hundreds of users reports a problem, we place a very high priority on removing bugs from the software. Updating your software ensures that you are running the version of the software with the least known bugs.
What Has Changed Since I Lasted Updated Platinum?
See here for a list of recent changes.
How do I Update the Software?
Click here for instructions on how to download and install a Platinum Program Update.
What Eventually Happens if I Don't Update?
It is a source of continuing regret to us that a minority of clients to not update their software regularly. This is despite the facts that they are able to do so easily and completely free of charge. It is tempting to think that "It does everything we want already" and "if it works then don't change it". Looked at in the short term this argument has merit however in the long term an update significant to you will in all probability be released. If at this point you have not updated for a considerable period, a large number of individual changes will be made to the software in a single update. The disruption caused by having to cope with a large number of changes "all at once" may be considerable.
We would very much like all of our clients to be getting the very best from our products at all times. Regularly updating the software AT LEAST once per month is good for both your business and our reputation.
- Downloading a Platinum update
- Why do I need Platinum Software maintenance?
- How do I check when I last had a Platinum update?
- How do I Check the Effective Dates of my Parts & Price Files?
- How do I clear locked users?
- Setting up the Platinum backup program