Creating a used unit
This article explains how to enter used unit stock details. Please see the additional linked articles depending on the method of purchase.
|Units: Unit is a general term used to cover all types of vehicle and machinery, including items such as motorcycles, scooters, cars, trucks, vans, caravans, motorhomes, boats, tractors, ATVs, agricultural equipment, wholegoods and construction equipment.|
The definition of units includes (but is not limited to) motorcycles, cars, caravans, motorhomes, agricultural whole goods, ATVs and trailers. Once the records have been created, they can then either be uploaded to the Catalyst Findit website, linked to third party sites or just be on the database ready to be sold out to a customer.
Method of Purchase
- If you are buying this unit from a customer see How do I purchase a unit from a customer?.
- If this is a Sale or Return unit see How do I deal with sale or return units?.
- If this is a Part Exchange unit see Selling a unit#Part Exchange.
Creating a Unit
Go to " Unit Sales Add or Edit Units".
- Press <F6> to create a unit record.
- Press <F2> to get the next available stock number.
- Set the "New?" flag to 'N'.
With HPI Lookup
- If your system has been set up with HPI lookup, enter the unit Registration Number and click [Look Up]. HPI make a small charge for this service.
|If selected, the additional options will provide a more detailed check but will incur additional charges.|
- If the lookup finds a matching model that will be used else it will create a new model from their information.
- You can elect to update an existing model with details from HPI, provided you are sure this existing model code represents the same manufacturer model.
- Unit information including Make, Model, Description, V.I.N., Chassis Number, Engine Number, Engine size will be populated following the lookup.
Without HPI Lookup
- Enter the unit Model or press <Ctrl+F1> to search through existing Model Codes.
- Select the Model and click [Choose].
- The default settings for that model will automatically populate various fields within the unit record.
- Select a "Colour" if prompted.
- If the Model does not exist press <Shift+F10>. Follow this article for how to add a new code.
- The "Location" will be set to your default location. Only amend this if the unit is at a different location e.g. you are creating records for other branches.
- The "Status" will usually default to your 'In Stock' status.
- If this unit is being created via a Unit Sales Order the status should show 'PPX' - Potential Part Exchange.
- If this is a Sale or Return unit please see this article.
|The status field will usually be altered by the system when the units is reserved for a customer and when sold. See this article if you need to create a new status.|
- Please ensure the "V.A.T. qualify?" and "Commercial?" flags are set correctly for this unit.
- If the unit is a static caravan, please ensure the "R.C. V.A.T?" flag is set correctly.
|Press <F11> on any field to view the help for that field.|
- Specify the "Unit type" from the drop down list.
- Click the [Details] tab.
- At "Reg. Date", enter the date of first registration of the unit.
- Enter any other information that you might consider necessary, such as "Key number" and "Prev. Owners".
- Click the [Dimensions] tab if you wish to store such details.
- Click the [Purchase] tab.
- Enter the "Supplier" account code or press <Ctrl+F1> to search for their account.
- If you have not purchased from them before you will need to create their account.
- If you are buying this unit from a customer e.g. a Sale Or Return unit, please see How do I purchase a unit from a customer?.
- The purchase amount should be entered as follows:
- For used units that are not V.A.T. qualifying, this should be the amount that you have given the seller for the unit.
- For units that are V.A.T. qualifying but not commercial,you should enter the Nett figure for the unit, and the system will calculate and add the V.A.T. on top of this figure.
- For units that are commercial, you should enter the Nett figure for the unit, and the system will calculate and add the V.A.T. on top of this figure.
|For units with an "In Stock" status: If your system is using the Automatic Cost of Sales facility, the value you enter in the "Purchase Amount" field will prompt the system to Debit your Used Unit Stock Nominal Code (usually '71001') and Credit your Unit Accruals Nominal Code (Usually 'Z940'). Please Note: This posting will happen on your user date not the purchase date specified on the unit.|
- If there is any outstanding finance on the unit enter the "Finance Balance" and "Finance Company".
- "Data checked" - If you have carried out an HPI check outside of Platinum you may wish to set the "Data checked?" flag to 'Yes'.
- If you have not already done so, you can use the full HPI data check to see if the unit has been written off or is subject to any lien or finance of which the seller has not made you aware. Please be aware HPI do make additional charges for this service.
|If your supplier has issued you an invoice you should not also produce a Purchase Invoice from the unit record.|
If the supplier has issued you with a Purchase Invoice you should post this onto the Purchase Ledger as usual, at the same nett value as per the unit record. The invoice should be posted to your purchase centre which is linked to your Unit Accruals Nominal Code (usually centre 200).
- If you need to print a Self Bill Invoice i.e. for over the counter purchases, early part exchanges and sale or return units, the system will update the Unit Accruals Nominal Code via centre 200 for you.
- Having entered the Supplier code and Purchase amount press <F2> to print the Self Bill.
- Check the "Payment made". If you are paying for the unit at this time, check or enter the amount you are paying for the unit. Else make sure this fields is set to 0.00.
|If this is a commercial unit don't forget to enter the correct payment amount i.e. Nett plus V.A.T.|
- Enter the "Payment Centre" to specify how you are paying for the unit, if applicable.
|'Z992' for Bank Transfer or 'Z900' for Cash.|
- Press <F2> to print the Self Bill Invoice.
- Check the document and click [Reprint] to print out a second copy of the invoice, if required.
- Click [Accept] to confirm all the details.
It is important a unit has the correct cost price when it is sold. See this article for more information.
|For help on what happens if a true value is entered see What effect does the true value figure have?.|
- Click the [Features] tab.
- Select the relevant unit Type from the left hand column, which will then show only the features that are relevant to that type of unit.
- Select any features you wish to add.
This tab records where this unit is to be listed on the web.
- Click the [Web Publishing] tab.
- Ensure that the "Catalyst Findit" box is ticked to enable the unit to be displayed on the FindIt Website.
- Click on the any of the other boxes if you wish for the vunit to be linked to the corresponding website.
|Some checkboxes will be 'ticked' automatically depending on the specific details of the unit. The Catalyst FindIt checkbox is automatically 'ticked' for all units entered. With this flag set and in conjunction with the status, the unit will be uploaded to Catalyst FindIt.|
- Click on the [Media] tab.
Pictures and Other Documents
- Click on [Add File] and select " Image Files" from the "Files of type" choice to add pictures to this unit.
- Select the appropriate option from the "Action" choice to either 'Move the selected file...' or 'Copy the selected file...'.
|Note: 'Move' will delete the picture from the area in which you have put it and move it to the Platinum location; 'Copy' will leave the picture that you originally took alone and copy the item across to the Platinum location.|
You can select one of the pictures to be the default picture. This will always be shown against the unit. You can also choose which pictures you want published on the internet by setting the "Publish" flag to 'Yes' or 'No'.
See Getting the most out of your unit pictures on Catalyst FindIt, Adding pictures.
Other types of file can also be added.
- From the " Image Files" option, you can choose a number of other file types to store here. If you have specification sheets, manufacturer documentation or other details that would be useful, they can also be stored here for easy reference.
- Click on [Add Video] to select the type of Service hosting the video i.e. YouTube or Facebook.
- Enter the appropriate URL into the "Link" field.
- You cannot specify a default video but you can specify whether a video is to be published i.e. available for upload to a website.
Press <Esc> and [Accept] to save the unit record.
- Creating unit models
- Creating a new unit
- Selling a unit
- What are the unit stock numbers starting at 90000000?
- How do I see a list of new\used units in stock?
- How can I upload units to my website?
- How do I print a unit data sheet?
- How do I purchase a unit from a customer?
- How do I deal with sale or return units?
- How do I deal with fitted options on units?